Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Winnie McCabe

Winnie McCabe
The Kite Runner
Khaled Hosseini
Historical Fiction
Challenge
203

1. Right now in The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Amir is visiting his father's business partner, Rahim Khan. Rahim Khan is ill and does not have much time to live. Amir lived a happy childhood with his Hazara best friend Hassan. He treated Hassan badly and feels guilty about it throughout his adulthood. The novel is written in Amir's perspective, which makes you feel his guilt and pain. The Russians attacked Afghanistan and caused Amir and his father, Baba, to flee to America. Later in California, Amir marries a woman named Soraya. Baba is diagnosed with cancer and does not live for much longer. Amir is called and flies to meet Rahim Khan. He is surprised to hear that Hassan has been living with Rahim Khan in Baba's old house in Kabul. Rahim Khan asks Amir if he would like to speak with Hassan. Amir accepted the chance to finally meet with Hassan after a devastating past. This makes me wonder if Amir will be able to handle the circumstances now that he is mature. I am hoping that Amir does not revert back to his childish ways.

2. So far I have really enjoyed reading this book. The way Khaled Hosseini structured the plot makes the novel very intriguing. The childhood of Amir and Hassan flows into Amir's unfortunate future. The themes that are present in this book indirectly connect to my life making it enjoyable to read. One thing that sparks my interest about Hosseini is the way he builds each character in this novel. Every character is so different and unique. Reading this book makes me wonder if Hosseini experienced a tough life that gave him inspiration to write The Kite Runner. Now that I have experienced Amir's life in a nutshell I have a greater appreciation for my own life. I haven't read any books written by Khaled Hosseini up until now. I am definitely going to read the sequel!

3. One theme in this novel is loyalty. I notice this theme between Hassan and Amir. During Amir's whole childhood Hassan was by his side. Whenever Amir did something wrong Hassan took the blame. Even when Amir hit him with pomegranates he just stood there and looked at Amir and didn't throw anything back. The biggest event when this theme is apparent is when Amir puts his birthday money and watch under Hassan's mattress. When Baba confronts Hassan he replies saying that it was him that stole the money and watch. He could have easily gotten Amir to feel guilty and spit out the truth. However, Hassan is too loyal to Baba and Amir to do that. 

4. My favorite character is Baba. Everything that Baba does is so witty. He truly cares about Amir and Hassan. Every single person he meets is charmed by him and craves his attention. My favorite memory of Baba is the time he took Amir to a bar after his high school graduation. Baba buys everyone drinks even though they don't have much money. He is a party animal and can always put a smile on someone's face. One thing that surprised me about Baba is his short temper. I always thought that a guy like him would be very casual and patient. It turns out that he cannot handle differences without provoking fights. Even with his short temper he seems like a fun guy to be around.

5. My least favorite character is Amir. I know he is the protagonist but so far he has been very unlikeable. The way he treats people is unacceptable. He was spoiled in his childhood and doesn't even appreciate anything that people do for him. I felt sorry for Hassan always having to take the blame for Amir's actions. It bothers me how Amir never spoke up about Assef tormenting Hassan. If Amir was a true friend he would've stopped the whole thing. He made many mistakes as a child and pays for it in his adulthood.

6. I predict that Amir will meet Hassan and tell him the truth about 1976. Amir will tell him that he saw all of what happened with Assef after Hassan ran the last kite. I think Amir will apologize for everything he did wrong. I think that this will happen because the whole time that Amir was in California he thought about Hassan. If Amir apologizes I think that Hassan will accept his apology, knowing how loyal he is. Hosseini keeps Hassan apparent throughout Amir's experience in America. This foreshadowed that they were going to meet again. I think Hosseini is hinting at this with Hassan's personality traits. Hassan is a good person and will always have Amir's back. That's just the way he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment