Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Abdell St. Paul
Variant
Robinson Wells
Science Fiction
Just Right
#89



  1. I'm reading Variant by Robinson Wells and I'm on page 89. During my book Benson is welcomed to his new school. He learns that this school this school has 3 gangs that are irresponsible and have the free will to do what ever they want because there are no teachers who are watching you. Benson learns that the school has 4 rules that you must obey, if you don't there would be consequences. If you disobey the teachers or try to be funny your punishment would be no lunch for the whole day. Benson wants to escape Maxwell Academy so he asks all the students if they know a way to escape the school or if someone tried to escape, none of the students answered but some said if you try and escape there are 3 other boundaries with cameras.
  2. I feel like this book is like a survivor book since Benson has to survive a school full of 3 gangs with no teachers and rules allowed. I like how the author started the rising action at the beginning of the book. I also feel that the author put a lot of detail into the setting of the book describing how the school looked like and what everything else around the school looked like. I liked how the author told the story in a 1st person perspective. I liked how the author described each character in the book in a lot of detail. I like how the author told the conflict right at the start of the book. I liked how the plot moved quickly during the book. I liked how the author kept me thinking why the school needed the children for if they didn't have tests and teachers who are watching them.I liked how there was no romance in the book. I disliked that throughout the book after every chapter Benson talks about how he is going to escape. I disliked that there wasn't that much action in this book. This is a new author that I read but I read similar books like The Hunger Games.
  3. The theme of this book so far in this book is the desire to escape because Benson is trying to escape a private school that has 3 rules that you can't break, the school has 3 gangs, the school has no teachers who watches the students, and the punishments of this school is no lunch. I noticed the theme in the second chapter of the book when Benson was asking everyone in the school if any has tried to escape. This theme appears in both the plot and the characters because the plot is about Benson figuring out a way to escape and Benson asks students from his school if they know a way out the weird private school. Benson also wants to escape the school because he is stuck between the 3 gangs.
  4. My favorite character is Benson because he is the new kid at his new school. He is brave. He doesn't make stupid decisions when being brave. He is curious about things that are going around in his school. He is the class clown in his school.  He tries hard not to be punished because he won't be able to eat. I liked how Benson was puzzling out and mapping the walls around the school to figure out how to escape. I also liked Benson because he is heroic, he attempted to get students out of the school.
  5. My least favorite character is Iceman because every announcements he makes are always bad. He speaks in a evil voice. He gives punishments to the wrong students. He isn't a leader. He never smiles when talking to students. He didn't answer Benson's question on why his name was Iceman. He gives the students sloppy lunch food. If you break his four rules you won't be able to eat lunch. He doesn't care for others.
  6. I predict that Benson is going to find out that the reason there are no teachers and students is that he is in a different planet with robot students and there is a way to escape Maxwell Academy. I also predicted that Benson would escape the Academy but he'll get caught and get in a lot of trouble. I predict that when Benson escapes the Academy. The things that happened in the book that made me think this is Benson asking the students questions about escaping the academy but none of the students responds. The author is guiding me to this prediction because the plot of the book so far is Benson figuring out a way to escape Maxwell Academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment