Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Robby Black
Sunrise Over Fallujah
Walter Dean Myers
Historical Fiction
Just Right
34

1.  I am currently reading Sunrise Over Fallujah, by Walter Dean Myers, I am on page 34 and am really enjoying the book so far. Right now Perry (as Marla likes to call him Biddy because of his last name which is Robbin) and his civil affairs squad is gearing up to go into Iraq territories with the 3rd infantry. Captain Coles if making sure all the men have their gear and are not missing anything and also to make sure the men know exactly what there in for. One of the medics got an ear full from the Captain because he was missing some equipment. All the battalions have got their Humvee groups and have assigned every one their positions in the vehicle. Now all the wait for is the green light to go in because this battalions main goal is to establish a good relationship with the Iraqi citizens.

2. So far in Sunrise Over Fallujah I think the book has had so much detail and it allows you to understand what the characters are going through allot better than other books. Walter Dean Myers is great with detail as he was in Fallen Angles. I don't like in this book is how many characters there are and there is allot of names to remember and they all have nick names which makes it even more difficult to keep track of all the characters. Other than that I think he does a great job with detail and makes it easy to understand exactly how the characters are felling and what there going through.

3.  The theme of my book is probably chaos and order. I would choose this them because in some points there is lots of chaos and everyone is yelling at each other and all hectic. In other points in this book there is order were they are getting there mission briefing and those type of things, but this theme has not been portered allot because I am not to far into the book. I expect there to be many more themes than just chaos and order because every good author can interpret more than one theme into a book.

4  My favorite character so far in this book is probably pewee and his nick name is birdy because his last name is robin. Birdy is my favorite character because he always perseveres and never backs down from any fight. He is also my favorite character because he always knows the right thing to say and he is always looking to help others.

5. There is not a character yet that sticks out as my least favorite character but after 30 pages I don't really like Danforth because he doesnt really stand up and help the team to acomplish a goal he kinda just sits back and does something every now and then. I hope as the book progresses that Danforth becomes more of a team player and really takes a roll in the Civil Affairs battalion.

6. What I expect later on in the book is for them to go into Iraqi territory and for the Civil Affairs battalion to get their hands dirty. I also think the CA(Civil Affairs) will be ambushed sometime latter in the story. I don't expect all the battalion members to walk away ok I expect some casualties and some wounds that are suffered in the battalion. I also think that one of the other battalions will be completely wiped out like the 3rd infantry battalion. In the end I think the CA battalion will accomplish their goal and get a healthy relationship with the Iraqi people. I hope none of this actually happens because I would like to be surprised in the book were say the General gets killed or something and there is no one to take control of the Civil Affairs battalion.

No comments:

Post a Comment