Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Sophie Van Riet

Sophie Van Riet
Gossip Girl
Cecily Von Zeigesar
Realistic Fiction
Just Right
60

1. I have just started the book Gossip Girl. It's pretty good so far, but it's not my favorite book.  This book is set in the upper east side of New York where all the wealthy people live. A girl named Serena van der Woodsen has just gotten back from an exclusive private school and is now back at her old all girls private school. Serena is the "it" girl. All the girls envy her, and all the guys want to be around her. She always looks gorgeous and always is doing something social. Before she left for her boarding school, she and Blair Waldorf were best friends. Blair has always lived in Serena's shadow, so when Serena leaves she's now the "it" girl. Blair misses Serena at first, but since Serena disconnects herself from Blair, Blair quickly gets over it. After Serena gets kicked out of her boarding school, she's surprised Blair seems to be annoyed at her. This is mostly because Serena wasn't there to support her throughout her parent's divorce and because now that she's back, Blair will have to live in her shadow once again. Also, Serena is the girl that Blair's boyfriend Nate is in love with. Serena doesn't mean to, but she ruins things for some of the people she cares for most.  She can't help that she is so beautiful and charming, she was just born that way. Blair and her three other friends Rain, Isabel, and Kati try to make Serena feel excluded the best that they can by making up nasty rumors about her and not really talking to her. Serena has no idea why things haven't gone back to the way they were before she left with Blair continuing to be her best friend.

2. I don't love this book so far, but it's not awful. There's just not that must too it. It seems a little dry to me and doesn't seem to be getting exciting anytime soon. I think it will probably get better as I read more but right now it is definitely not one of my favorite books. The author could use more vivid words to liven it up or stop talking about things that happened to characters lives in the past and instead start making it about whats happening at that moment.  I think it will probably get good because it is a best selling series, so how could there be so many copies sold if it doesn't live up to was it is expected to be? Although I don't like it too much, it's not boring. It just kind of drags on and seems to get repetitive.

3.  One theme that I've noticed so far is the effects of society. All these characters live a very high profile life. Their parents aren't around too much so they take care of themselves most of the time. Also it seems that they are very influenced by money. They judge people based on what they are wearing and how they live. They also don't have great morals. They don't appreciate all that they have.  However, some characters were raised very well. Some of their parents know how important it is to be respectful and polite since they have interacted with so many people. You can really see the difference in the characters personalities based on how they grew up.

4. My favorite character is by far Serena. She has definitely brought life to this story. She lives such a fun life and makes memories.  I like her personality a lot. I also feel sort of bad for her. Her best friend has turned on her and now she has no one. Also, everyone is making up hurtful rumors about her just because they are jealous of the looks she was born with. She can't help that. This doesn't get the best of her. Although it may seem like she doesn't care much about anyone except herself, she really is trying.  She is always talking to Blair and never says anything mean or untrue to anyone really. She has messed up in the past, and I think that's probably why people expect her to be conceited and into herself.  She has made this story worth reading so far.

5. My least favorite character is probably Blair. Although there are worse characters out there, she is my least favorite in this story. Although I see why she is upset about Serena coming back, she doesn't have to be so rude to her.  I really don't like her attitude. I think if she was nicer, and more understanding, I would like her more. Also I find she judges people too harshly.  I think once I get to know her better I will like her more, but right now I don't. She seems to surround herself without true friends which might be the reason why she is so miserable.

6. I predict that Blair and Serena will become friends again, but first there will be some drama between them. There is an upcoming party, and I think that Blair will keep on avoiding Serena so Serena will confront her at the party. Blair might tell Serena how she's feeling and they will gradually come closer.
I hope this does happen because Blair is always reminiscing about the fun times they've had in the past and I know she misses this.  Serena is also trying which makes me think she won't stop until they are friends again.  I'm really looking forward to see what happens next.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie!

    This seems like an interesting new book, so I put it on my someday list. After reading your blog, it did make me second guess myself as to whether this book is worth reading. You gave a lot of contructive critisism, which I know will help me with my decision as to if I want to read this book or not. I thought your first paragraph was really well written. You included a lot of detail about your book, and gave me a very good understanding of where you are currently, and how you like it. I like how you included your opinion so far on this book right off the bat, because it really sets the mood as you describe the story. I really enjoyed your third paragraph on theme. I think you were spot on with your choice, and it was a theme. Although I have not read the books, I am familiar with the TV series, Gossip Girl, so I know a little bit about the plot line of the story. I thought your explanations as to why you chose that theme were very clear, and I agree. All of the characters in this book give off a vibe that makes me think they are conceited wealthy teens, who give little appreciation for what they have. Through your theme choice, it makes me think I will dislike most of the characters in this book. I have not chosen this theme before because it just so happens that none of my books recently have been related to effects of society. You proved your point well and provided a good explanation. What a great blog Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soph!

    I've read Gossip Girl too, but I have to say I have very different views on the book than you do. I loved Gossip Girl, and a lot of the sequels, in fact I still read some of them if I'm on vacation and I want a book to read. I agree with your theme 100%. All of the characters are heavily influenced by wealth, and they have been since birth. I don't think it's all their fault though that they're so ungrateful, I think the fault lies more on the society they live in and the parents that set the poor example that they did. I think that if you grew up surrounded by that much money, you would grow pretty ungrateful and conceited as well. I also agree that the beginning of the book is a little slow. I think if you stick with it though, you'll really grow to enjoy the book like I did. It's a story that grows more and more interesting with each chapter as new secrets are revealed and scandals are uncovered. I know by the end of the book I couldn't wait to read the next one, and I hope you feel the same way when you finish! It's funny that you're favorite character is my least favorite character and your least favorite character is my favorite character. I think that Blair is by far the person that has been put through the most, and I think that has an affect on her attitude. She has to go through her best, and only true friend, leaving her when she needs her most, and none the less, Serena doesn't even try to stay in contact. I know that if that happened to be, I would be so mad. I think that Blair is afraid of opening herself back up to Serena after she left her in the dust before, and being rude to Blair is the only way she knows how to cope with the hurt that Serena caused. She's also had to deal with living in Serena's shadow for her whole life, even when Serena didn't always deserve the spotlight. Something like that can really ruin a girls' self esteem, and I think that Blair has low self esteem even though it seems like she's the most confident girl in the world. I also don't like Serena at all. She doesn't really seem to have any idea of how her actions effect other people. She talks and acts without thinking, and this really shows when you see what her friends and family are put through. Although she doesn't mean to hurt people, she does, and I think she needs to mature and realize that the world doesn't revolve around her. I was so impressed with your blog Sophie, it's very detailed, and you backed up all of your thoughts with evidence from the story. Great job!

    Julia-I think you'll really like this book. The TV series and book series are both very similar, and if you liked the TV series I bet you'll like the books.

    ReplyDelete