Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Abdell St. Paul
Fast Food Nation
Eric Schlosser
Non-Fiction
Just Right
133


1.I'm currently reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and i'm in the chapter that begins at the J.R. Simplot Plant in Aberdeen, Idaho. I'm on the part that describes J.R's life. J.R. Simplot was born in 1909 and grew up working on his family’s farm in Idaho. When he dropped out of school and left home at fifteen, he found work in a potato house. By age sixteen, he was a potato farmer. Soon, Simplot was buying, selling, and sorting potatoes eventually becoming the largest shipper of potatoes in the West. During World War II, Simplot made a fortune selling dried onions and potatoes to the American military. Following the war, Simplot invested in frozen food technology. In the 1950's he began selling frozen french fries to McDonald's. I think after reading this part most successful owners of the big fast food industries were drop outs in highschool and began working on small part time jobs.

2.I feel that the author put a lot of research into the book because Eric Schlosser explains in detail why the McDonald fries taste so good. I liked how Schlosser illustrates how the potato is manufactured and what contributes to its flavor. I liked how Eric Schlosser explained to the reader how they make the fast food, how fast food is important to modern American society, and what the food does to us. I liked how the author is concerned about the children in America and how fast food restaurants will make them obese. I liked that their was a lot of accurate historical info about fast food. I dislike the font in the book, it's small print. The plot is helping me form my opinion of this book because it's exposing the fast food industries. I have never read an author with such historical information before.

3.One of the themes that I noticed in this book is truth. I noticed this theme through out the parts I read. Eric Schlosser is trying to convince the reader the truth about fast food on how they make it, where they make it, and what it does to you. This theme is in the plot only because Eric Schlosser has facts that proves what fast food does to you. He exposed the truth of how the industries copied the Mcdonald techniqe to make their food taste better with more salt, fat, and sugar.

4.There are no fictional characters in this book but Walt Disney is my favorite character in this book because he didn't want to put Mcdonalds in Disney Land, he was rivals with Ray Kroc. This makes him my favorite because Disney Land was a place for kids to have fun and Walt didn't want Ray Kroc to promote Mcdonalds to the children that were in Disney Land because it's was unhealthy for the kids.

5.My least favorite character in the book is Ray Kroc because he's the reason why children are obese today. He created the fictional Ronald Mcdonald character that tricked children into eating fast food. He expanded Mcdonalds. He used a fictional character to promote Mcdonalds to children. He didn't like Walt Disney and Disney Land.

6.I predict that Eric Schlosser will later in the book explain how the meat in fast food is poisoning. I made this prediction off of the part when Eric Schlosser was talking about how the fast food industries find their products and what they do to the food to make it taste good. The part when Mcdonalds put stuff on their fries to make it taste delicious made me think of this prediction. The author is guiding me to this prediction by talking about what they put in meat in the industries. 


3 comments:

  1. Dear Abdell,
    This book is on my someday list. You definitely made me want tot keep it there. All your prompts were pretty strong, but I think the strongest would be prompt two. You explained how you felt about the book in a very thorough and detailed way. I feel that you must have taken a lot of time on that part of your blog. I felt your theme was okay, but it could have been stronger. I realize since this is such a factual book it is hard to find a theme that fits but I think you did a good job of your explaining your theme, however it could have been stronger.
    Sincerely,
    Sophie Van Riet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abdell,
    This book is on my someday list. This blog post just made me want to read it more, and keep it on my list. You did very well on all the prompts, but my favorite was prompt #1. This is because you mentioned specific details from your book, and you also chose a very interesting story. I feel that your theme was good, but if you took it one more step, than it would have been better. You could of said that the theme was finding the truth, or something like that. You could of also said that it would be following your dreams or doing what feels right, considering most successful fast-food people dropped out of school. I agree with Sophie when she said you were very thorough and detailed with your prompts. Keep up the good work Abdell.

    Sincerely,
    Jamie Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read fastfood nation yet but this blog made me want to keep it on my sumday list. I thought your promt on your theme was very strong, I thought you described the theme very well and why it fit the best. Yes I do belive your theme is a theme with the evidence from the book you backed it up by. I do agree with Jamie how he mentioned taking the theme on more step could of made it even stronger. Overall I thought it was a good blog but could be alittle bit more detailed in some parts.

    ReplyDelete