Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Saturday, February 2, 2013

NO@H'S BLOG POST

Noah Lawrence
Maze Runner
James Dashner
Holiday
Finished 374 pages

1.       I recently finished Maze Runner by: James Dashner. The end of the book was very interesting. It turns out that Thomas, the third newest edition to the glade, a place surrounded by mazes, has a connection with the new girl Theresa, who is the one and only girl to come to the glade. They have a special connection and Theresa tells Thomas that they were both involved in the implementation of the maze.  In the last chapters, Thomas loses a good friend, Chuck, after making it out of the Maze by discovering a path hidden in an illusion.  Gally makes an attempt to kill Thomas, but is saved by Chuck as he steps in front of Thomas taking the knife.  The twenty or so Gladers left are put on a bus to be sent to another facility by this group of rescuers.  On the bus, Thomas is approached by a scarred woman that begins to tell to the story of the Maze.  Many years ago the flares began.  The flares came from the sun scorching everything.  The solar flares threatened all the people of the earth.  Shortly after the solar flares happened then a new disease began to spread.  This disease is called the Flare.   Once the ecosystem fell apart, they could no longer control the spread of this horrible disease.  As the bus ride continues, the old woman tells Thomas and Theresa the reason for the experiments.  The purpose is to find the chosen one who can cure the Flare.  These rescuers do not want WICKED, an organization that uses the children in their experiments, to continue to experiment at the expense of humanity.  The rescuers are hoping that Thomas and Theresa will join their cause.  In a memo sent from WICKED, Ava Paige, reveals to her associates that this has been all part of the plan for the Gladers.  The plan is to find the most resourceful and intelligent child who can find a way to cure the Flare and save the population at all costs!

2.       This book is very detailed and it is loaded with suspense and action. There is a new, surprising event in every chapter. There are many cliff hangers and the reader cannot put this book down because it has so much suspense. The author is so creative in this book.  He developed great plot twists and surprises and somehow still manages to add great details. When you read this book it feels as though time stops because you get so immersed in the story.  The characters make so many sacrafices for one another that after reading this book, I want to go do something awesome like donate time and money to helpful organizations.

3.       The theme of this book is nature verses humans. This is the theme because the Gladers (humans) fight against the greavers (nature) and the maze (nature) to survive and to try to free themselves and once they do they find themselves faced with another challenge, fighting the Flare (nature).

4.       My favorite character is Chuck. He would do anything for Thomas, the main character. He is innocent and caring. He saved Thomas’ life by shielding a knife with his body. The knife was thrown by Gally Thomas’s enemy. Chuck resembles my little brother.  We fight and annoy each other but when it comes down to it we love each other I would give my life for him and I hope he would do the same for me.

5.       My least favorite character is Gally he is mean to everyone for no reason and he attempted to kill Thomas after Thomas saved most of the Gladers. Gally is mostly bad but there is a glimpse of good here and there. Overall, though, he is just a mean guy.

6.       I always knew that Thomas would lead the Gladers out of the maze accompanied by Theresa but what I did not expect was that this was an experiment. Some thoughts that I had about the book were that they may be in a parallel dimension or they could be in a video game.  The clues to the ending were hidden but if you read very carefully you could find them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Noah,
    I read The Maze Runner (italicized) back in November. I really like the book because the characters are so well developed. Overall, I liked your blog post. You really got into the description of your favorite and least favorite character. There are a few things you can improve on though. You might want to try to make prompts 2-6 a little bit longer and shorten prompt 1. The lengths are a little uneven. I agree with you because Chuck is also my favorite character. He is so kindhearted and caring. He is always looking out for Thomas. I like how you connected Chuck to your little brother too. I think that is a good analogy. However, I disagree with your choice of theme. I would choose Good vs. Evil as a theme because the Gladers fight against the Grievers. The Gladers are good and the Grievers are evil. I believe that the Grievers are more "evil" than a cause of nature. Even though I disagree with some of your choices, you have really good thoughts. Nice blog post Noah!

    Winnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Noah,
    I read your blog and I thought it was really good. I really want to read this book when I am done reading my series. I thought you first paragraph really summarized the book well. Although, you could add a little detail on your favorite and least favorite character. I think you could find a stronger theme in this book. i think man Vs nature is a little vague. But overall a great blog

    ReplyDelete