Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Abdell St. Paul
The Maze Runner
James Dashner
Science Fiction
Just Right
185


1.  I'm currently reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner. During my book Thomas and Newt go to eat and discuss what’s happened. Thomas notices that people have become wary of him, and that they watch him, now. He wonders what it is that makes him different from the other people of the Glade. He and Newt then discuss all that has happened. Newt thinks Gally is lucky not to be Banished for physically attacking Thomas in the Keepers’ meeting, because it disrupted the underlying order of the community. He explains that Thomas will be with Newt for the rest of the day, will spend the following day in the Slammer doing his discipline, and after that will be assigned to Minho for training. Newt then takes up the point that Alby, the girl, and Gally all think that things are going to change, and soon. Alby, Gally, and Ben all have Change memories of Thomas, and remember him as doing something bad. Thomas argues he has no memory of any of that. Newt agrees, but points out that the information may still be crucial, and demands Thomas tell him anything that might shed light on the situation. Thomas has no clear memories, but grudgingly admits that the girl seems familiar to him—but that he doesn’t know why. He again makes Thomas promise to tell him if he thinks of anything, and then says they now have to go see the girl. They go up to her room in the Homestead, where Clint, the Med-jack is watching over her. Clint thinks the girl will wake up soon. He comments that she keeps talking in her coma, and that she keeps mentioning Thomas by name. Thomas, thinking about the girl, focusing his thoughts, gets the sense that he feels something powerful for her, but that he doesn't know what. He does, however, assure Newt that he believes he does know the girl, or that he did in his prior life. Newt encourages him to keep working on it, and as Thomas thinks, he hears her mind-voice for the first time, saying her own name in response to his wondering who she is. 

2.  I feel that the book is very interesting because the author described the girl in lots of detail. I liked how the author described how the voice echoed into Newts mind for example James Dashner described how the voice touched Newts eardrums and how they were inside his mind.  I liked how James Dashner described what Alby wasn't capable of. I feel like James Dashner is pushing me into the book because Thomas became a runner and I wanted to why Thomas wanted to become a runner. I liked how their were quote in this book that explained what question Thomas was talking about. So far in this book I dislike how the chapters were set up in this book because it gets very confusing when you're reading chapter 27 and you are in page 170. I dislike that their are many characters in this book. This is the first time I read this kind of author.


3. One of the themes that I noticed in this book is bravery. Through out the book I noticed this theme in the characters. For example when Thomas saw Minho and Alby struggling to return to the Glade before the Wall closes he rushes out to help them. Thomas must call on his own will and fortitude to overcome a 

frightning situation. This theme appears in both characters and plot because Thomas has to be Brave to show the Gladers a way out of the maze, and Thomas has to be brave to discover his own destiny.

4. My favorite character in The Maze Runner is Chuck because when Thomas was the new Chuck wanted to guide Thomas in Glade. He is talkative, innocent and naive, and though he is also annoying at times Thomas comes to see Chuck as a friend and even as a sort of younger brother. Thomas takes it upon himself to ensure that Chuck gets out of the Maze and is reunited with his family. His character represents innocence.   

He protects his friends and solves codes.

5. My least favorite character in The Maze Runner is Gally because he is stubborn. He bullied Thomas on his first day at the Glade. He tells Thomas he has seen him before, during the Changing, and sows suspicion amongst the Gladers. He betrayed everyone in the Glades. He's an enemy to Thomas. He's the protagonist. he doesn't treat others nicely. He's a horrible leader. He is sometimes evil and sometimes good.

6. I predict that Gally is betraying the Gladers and is with the Wicked because he has disappeared into the maze and he has not come back. I based this prediction on when Gally disappeared from the Gladers. I thought of this prediction when Gally said that Thomas was a spy from the Wicked. The author has guided me into this prediction by describing how Gally was angry and suspicious towards Thomas.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Abdell,
    1. I thougth this book was incredible! The plot twists and suspense made the book a good read. The details in this book were amazing and I would read it again in a heartbeat.
    2. I thought your blog post was very good with exception to some minor points. This includes the lack of some detail and your theme could have had more punch! I thought you did a great job using textual evidence. Some detail that could have been included was supporting the great points you made with examples from the book. To make your theme better, you could have used a theme that connected with more of the characters instead of just a couple.
    3. I agree that Gally is my least favorite character in the book. He is all out selfish and mean. Gally threatened Thomas many times and that is not nice.
    4. Something that I see differently is that you think there was too many characters and i think there was just the right amount. I think this because I liked to see all the characters different perspectives and thoughts. I also liked how the characters formed a community. If there were less characters, you would be able to see such a well defined community. Also, I think you can have a large amount of characters if you develop characters that grow and change. I think the author did a great job of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abdell,
    I have not read this book yet, but it seems really interesting and it is definitely on my "someday list". I didn't know if I would like this book or not, but your blog post definitely made me want to keep it on my someday list, and i will definitely read it soon. I think your first and second paragraphs were the best part of your post. I liked how well you described the story and the detail in the part that you are in now. I also liked how you had evidence from the text in your second paragraph. You also did a great job describing your likes and dislikes in this book. Courage is definitely a theme and it seems like it is a good choice for this book. I think I used bravery as a theme, but if I haven't I have used overcoming fear which is very similar. I think that you did prove your point very well. I agree with Noah when he said that you did a great job with textual eviednce, but I disagree with him when he said you needed more detail.

    Keep up the great work

    Sincerely,
    Jamie Wright

    ReplyDelete