Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Friday, February 1, 2013

Chris Shanahan

Christopher Shanahan
Pretty Little Liars
Sara Shepard
Realistic Fiction
Challenge
31

1.     Many things have happened in this book so far.  This book is very fast paced and something is always happening.  Alison, Spencer, Aria, and Hannah who are best friends are always hanging out with each other.  It takes place in the summer of eighth grade.  They have a code for when they see an ugly girl they say "not it".  One night they saw a girl named Mona and she asked if the girls wanted to come over.  Alison said no because they have been planning a sleepover for really long time.  Alison is the leader of the group and she persuades the girls to do foolish things like light a girls house on fire.  They all wanted to sleep in Spencer's barn instead of the house so they did.  Alison wanted to hypnotize them and Spencer kept saying no but Alison persuaded her.  So as Alison was trying to hypnotize them Spencer got up and opened the curtains and told Alison to leave.  Spencer kept yelling at her and finally Alison left.  Spencer thought she wouldn't, but she did.  So after a minute or so they went outside to see if Alison was there.  They were thinking she went to a high scholars house.  When they woke up they started calling Alison but she did not pick up.  After two days they still could not find her.  They still cant find Alison two years after it happened.  Over that time the girls faded and stopped being friends.  Aria moved to Iceland because her dad got a job.  That is all that has happened so far in this book.

 2.     This has been a really good book so far.  I really like how Sara Shepard started the book off with a bang.  By that I mean when Alison went missing I don't know if she was kidnapped or murdered.  That really captivated me and I wanted to keep reading.  Shepard started the book off by getting the reader to keep reading.  That is a very good idea for an author.  A lot of books that have slow beginnings I usually wont finish.  The plot so far is really cool I like the way the book is being told and the story.  The characters tell you a lot about the book and how the book will go on.  For example the all the girls are really popular so I know the book will be fast paced.

3.     I think the theme of this book is growing apart.  I think that because all the girls are changing and are growing apart.  They are starting to like other people and they are moving on from Allison's disappearance.  They are still sad but they are moving on.  They also are finding new friends and doing things with other people.  They used to do every thing with each other and no one else.  The theme appears mostly in the plot.  The plot still appears in the characters but mostly in the plot.  The theme is defiantly shown throughout man parts of the book so far.

4.     My favorite character is Hannah.  I like Hannah because she is pretty nice and is not nearly as mean as Alison.  Hannah is made fun of a lot because she's fat.  Alison said  this to Hannah "Sean really likes girls who have good appetites."  Hanna brightened. "really?" "No" Alison snorted.  That just one example In how Hannah gets called fat or gets made fun of for her weight.  Hannah also has a good sense of humor.  She is really popular and a lot of the boys like her.

5.     My least favorite character is Alison.  I don't like Alison because she is a jerk to her friends and mean to other girls.  She said "not it" when they saw Mona for example.  Also Alison is really good at persuading her friends into doing stupid stuff.  One time they lit a girls house on fire.  The girl;s name was Jenna and she went blind after the fire.  The police never caught them and they try to forget about it.  She has done very mean things like bullying which is illegal.

6.     I think we will find out that someone close to the girls kidnaped Alison.  I think we will find out who took Alison and over the series we will find out who did it.  I think the person was someone Alison bullied and was mean too.  I bet the person was just trying to get back for what Alison did.  Then the police found out so the person killed her.










1 comment:

  1. Dear Chris,

    This book is on my Some Day list. Your blog definitely made me want to keep this on my list. I watch the TV series, but have never read the books, so when i read your blog I was able to get a feeling of what the book is like versus the TV show. I think that your second prompt was the strongest. You gave good, clear examples of why you have liked the book so far. I felt your theme paragraph could have been better. Your theme was a bit awkward, you could have tried something else. Your points were okay, but I felt that they could have been stronger. I hope to read this book in the future.

    ReplyDelete