Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chris Shanahan

Christopher Shanahan
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee
Historical Fiction
Challenging

1.     There are so many things happening in my book right now.  In the middle of the night Jem and Scout were sleeping.  Atticus ran in and woke them up.  He said get up and he said he will show Jem and Scout why.  When they got to the front door they saw that Miss Maudie's house was on fire.  A bunch of people were outside helping and Atticus said stay in front of the Radleys gate and don't move.  So Jem and scout went over to the gate and sat there.  They saw almost the whole town there, including Mr. Radley.  Within a few minutes they saw Mr. Avery jumping out of the window.  The house was burning from the bottom up and Mr. Avery is at the top floor.  Jem and Scout fall asleep while sitting outside the Radleys gate.  They woke up and went inside and Atticus asked them were they got the blanket from.  The kids had no idea.  They then thought it was Boo Radley that put it on them in the middle of the night.  Jem got scared and told Atticus everything that has happened in the past months.  Jem even told Atticus about the naut hole in the tree.

2.     This has been a really good book so far.  It has captivated me and wont let me put the book down. It keeps giving me new reasons to keep reading.  There has been a lot of action so far.  Also I think this book is a mystery in some parts.  For example who is Boo Radley, and are the rumors true about him.  It keeps me guessing and wanting to read more.  The plot is very good and the way it is written is amazing.  Harper Lee is writing this book very well so far.  This is the first time I have ever read a book from Harper Lee and I think I may want to read more books from Lee.  She has a lot of detail but not to much that it gives the story away.  It gives me just enough detail to keep me guessing which is a great way to write a book.

3.     The theme of this book maturity.  I think that the theme of the book is maturity because Jem is starting to grow up and so is scout.  Jem is starting to get that all these rumors about Boo Radleys are not real.  Scout is growing up to but not as fast as Jem.  Jem is turning into a man now.  He kinda of knows about what older people are saying.  For example Jem gets to sit at the older table with Aunt Alexandra and Uncle Jack.  Scout is now trying to use her words instead of her fists.  Atticus believes she can do it.  Scout walks away from a fight because she did not want to disrespect her dad.

4.     My favorite character is Scout.  She is my favorite character because she is starting to become a better person.  She is starting to use her words instead of her fists.  She is becoming a nice girl.  She is trying to ignore the kids at her school when they say very rude things about her dad.  One her friends at her school stood on the playground at recesses and say a very incorporate phrase about Atticus.  He thinks Atticus should not be helping a black guy in court.  Scout said to herself walkaway because she did not want to break the promise her and her dad made.  Even though the kid on the playground was calling Scout a coward she still walked away.

5.     My least favorite character is Mr. Radley.  I don't like Mr. Radley because he kept his son locked in his house for over fifteen years.  Even though Boo Radley did something bad does not mean he should get that cruel of a punishment.  Mr. Radley knew that Boo Radley, Jem, and Scout were secretly passing items.  So Mr. Radley decided to fill cement into the tree that Boo puts all of the items in.  Jem got really sad and cryed on the porch because he knew they had lost the connection with whoever was in that house.  Mr. Radley just wanted to make his son suffer.

6.     I think that Boo Radley, Jem, and Scout will find another connection.  Then Mr. Radley will find out and do something that makes Boo Radley suffer even more than he already does.  Mr. Radley will do some mean things to Scout and Jem like bully them or harass them.  Mr. Radley will do that just so he can get revenge for letting Jem and Scout see Boo Radley.  I think this because earlier in the book it told us that Mr. Radley made Boo Radley stay inside the house for over fifteen years.  So I would not be suprised if Mr. Radley did something crazy.












1 comment:

  1. noah the commenttt

    yo, chris

    1.I felt that this book is very good so far. I love the hidden messages and the great details.

    2.I think that your blog post was very interesting and I thought it was very good except for some small things. Your summary was very detailed and accurate. You must have had a good understanding of what you read.Some things that I think you struggled with is using better/ more sophisticated vocabular. Also, I think you should vary your word choice. For example, you might want to use the characters name instead of referring to her as "she."

    3. I agree that Mr. Radley is a least favorite character. He is an old unlikeable man. He is over the top with his punishments. I don't like him at all.

    4. I diagree with your theme of maturaty. Scout and Jem are still young and innocent like a mocking bird.

    ReplyDelete