Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Friday, February 1, 2013

Julia Medoff

Julia Medoff
Double
Jenny Valentine
Realistic Fiction
Just Right
34

1. Though I have only read 34 pages of my book, I can already tell it will be a new and exciting read. The book starts off in a hostel in London, narrated by a boy who does not even know he own name. He walked off the streets into the hostel, and has been there only a couple of days. The people there gave him clothes and meals, and worked hard to figure out who he was. This boy can not remember who he was nor retain any memories up to this point. He does not know if he has a family, friends or where he is from or where he grew up. Ginny and Gordon, two people who work at the hostel, walk into to the boy's room. They ask him if he is Cassiel, Cassiel Roadnight. They show him a picture of a boy who must be fourteen, and though the boy at the hostel is not aware of his own identity, he is certain that's not him. Before he gives Ginny and Gordon an answer, he thinks, he thinks about what would to happen if he said yes, that boy in the picture was him. It did look like him, and by saying yes, he did not have to be himself anymore, and he can wipe his identity off the face of the earth. Cassiel had family, friends and caring people looking for him. Although this boy's friends and family could notice it is not him, and he could get into a whirl of trouble, he told himself he was going to go against the odds. Take the risk. Gordon and Ginny got hold of Edie, Cassiel's sister. This boy is asked to speak with her and, not knowing what Cassiel is like or who he even is, this is a first of many challenges. Edie, in tears during the call believes it is truly Cassiel, and she rushes to get him. When she arrives, they meet up in his room, and have a dull conversation that consists of her crying and him contemplating what to say so that, in the end, he doesn't say much at all. She has not realized that it is not her brother Cassiel, and they leave together. The boy is excited to be brought into a new life, but also nervous as to how everything will play out.

2. So far the book has been a tad confusing but very interesting and thought provoking. Not many characters have been introduced into the book so far, and I am not sure if there will be any more, but it seems likely. I enjoy how the main character does not have a name because it makes the book seem more mysterious and that there might be many twiists and turns to come as I read further into the book. I have not been able to pick out many characteristics of each character, and I am somewhat confused as to why they have not been explained further. The plot is still unclear, and I think that the way the book started out could lead in so many directions. I am excited to read more and figure out what happens when the boy meets Cassiel's family and what their reaction will be. This book could turn out to be a mystery, or come out with the straight truth. I am excited to find out how the boy develops as a character and if he eventually remember his identity. The author is giving away little information and it is keeping me on my toes waiting for another clue or piece of information. For example, this boy does not know his name, identity or where he came from. I am curious to find out the answers to these unsolved parts of the story. This book seems very unique, and hits the reader with new questions every time I turn the page.

3. A theme I have noticed is faith versus doubt. The boy with no name had to make a tough decision as to whether he wanted to leave the hostel as Cassiel Roadnight, or  stay and either search for his identity or be lost in questions. Since he decided to pretend to be Cassiel, I am wondering if this is fate that he went this direction. The boy thought about the benefits and possible outcomes that could be either good or bad, so he had doubts. This is where my theme choice comes in. The theme appears in the main character, the boy. For example, while the boy is in the hostel, he contemplates what decision would benefit him the most. He had many doubts about faking his identity, and stealing someone else's. On the other hand, his plan could work out and it could be fate that brought him to meeting Cassiel's family. This theme was very reocurrent in the main character, the boy, and I wonder how it will play out as the book goes on and if the theme will either change, or be supported by more facts.

4. Although not many characters have been introduced, I can tell that I already really like the boy with no name or identity. He is incredibly mysterious and his character always keeps me guessing. Since he is not sure about his background, it is hard for him to answer personal questions and the suspense the reader gets when he speaks makes you so curious. I am never sure what type of answer he will give. Since he does not know his age, it makes me question his personality and how he may act. As I read, I can tell he has a large outer shell, and will hold things inside of him. I wonder what he may be like when he is around someone who he trusts and cares about. There has been no mention in the story of a friend he may have, but if he meets one along the way I am interested in how that will play out. I like the boy a lot as a character, but as I read I hope to find out more about him.

5.  My least favorite character so far is Gordon because, while the boy was at the hostel, Gordon was constantly trying to get in his business. He asked him a lot of questions, which is ok, but can be harsh at some times. I found his approach towards the boy somewhat forceful, and he and Ginny tried to pick a lot of information out of him at the hostel in a small amount of time. I found him in a way an enemy towards the nameless boy, or just a person who wanted him to leave the hostel. Over all, I did not like Gordon's approach towards the new boy, and found him somewhat pushy and rude.

6. I predict that when the boy who is pretending to be Cassiel arrives at the family's house, the family will believe it is him. If this happens, the boy will most likely find himself in sticky situations that are tricky to get out of. I can base my prediction on how Cassiel's sister Edie believed that this boy truly was Cassiel Roadnight, so if she did than maybe her whole family will too. So far, I see the boy capable of getting away with things, even taking a person's identity. The author guides me to my prediction by seeing how Edie reacted, and that she believed this boy, whom she had never met before, was her brother. The boy is unsure of Cassiel's personality and how to act, so it is possible that when he arrives back in his town, one person may be able to see through him and figure out that this boy is not Cassiel. If that does not happen, then I am still convinced that this boy will face challenges along the way as he tries to portray himself as Cassiel Roadnight. I am sure more new and exciting events will happen as the book moves on, but what I predicted could be a major climax in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment