Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Monday, March 11, 2013

noah's blog

Noah Lawrence
To Kill A Mockingbird
Realistic Fiction
Just Right
 Pg.  145

1.        Aunt Alexander has moved to town.  She is there to “help” Atticus during the trial.  She really would like to give them lessons on how to behavior like a Finch.  Later, Dill comes back to town as he has run away.  He felt that his parents do not spend any time with him.  His mom was newly remarried.  Aunt Alexander suggests that the Finch’s no longer need Calpurnia, but Atticus refuses this suggestion.  Also, Calpurnia takes the children to her church and Aunt Alexander tells Scout that she can never go again. Another important scene was when Scout defuses a mob in front of the jail house! She does this by having friendly conversation with Mr. Cunningham. Mr. Cunningham gets embarrassed and tells the mob to go home.

2.       When I read this book I am disturbed by the racism. This makes me sad and depressed. Some disturbing scenes are the mob scene. The mob had come to hurt Mr. Robinson. Another thing is the names that people call Atticus. He is called a “nigger lover” because he is defending Tom Robinson.  It is hard to hear this from the town’s people because the earlier part of the book was all about the small happy town of Maycomb.  Now that the trial is near, you can see what people really feel. This is surprising because, the book leads you to believe that Atticus is the town’s savior.  Now he is faced with a really big job of defending Tom Robinson during this racist period of time.

3.        This part of the book is all about social structure.  Aunt Alexander is high up in the social circle.  She attends tea parties and people bake goods for her.  She regards herself as a lady of class and expects Scout to behave the same way.  Although, the Ewells are very poor, but they are still white and Tom Robison is below them because he his black.  The Ewells do not have to obey the laws because of how poor they are.  The Cunningham’s are poor, but are more responsible for their own lives and therefore live above the Ewells. 

4.       My favorite character is Scout because she is interesting, funny and sticks up for what she believes in.  I think she is a reliable character.  Even though she is very young,  the reader can follow the story as she lived it. 

5.       My  least favorite character is Bob Ewell.  I dislike him because he does not care for his children and spends his money on himself.  He doesn’t obey laws or make sure his kids go to school.  He sends them the first day to sign in and then they never go back. 

6.       My prediction is that Bob Ewell will be there during the trial and mess something up so people will see his true character.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Noah, your blog post was really good and really thought out. You described what was going on in the book very well. I totally knew were you left off. I agreee that your least favorite character is Bob Ewell. He is a really mean man and is very rascised. He dosent treat peopel with the respect they deseerve. I dont agree that Bob Ewell has a diffrent side to him. I think he has one side and that is bing mean. Something that could be a possibilitie though is that he would mess up in court. Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my fellow classmate Noah,
      I agree about the racism in the book even though I sometimes I don’t think it is necessary it helps me realize what the world was like during this time period. I think that it is interesting that you thought that the theme was social structure I never thought about it that way. I feel that the book is one of the better school assigned books that I have read. I feel that your blog post is very good and that you should keep up the good work! I agree that Mr. Bob Ewell is my least Favorite character and that he is racist, mean, and a liar. I think that even if Mr. Ewell messes up the town will ignore it due to the racism. Chris I think your blog post was also very good and I want to congratulate you on your successful comment.

      Delete
  3. Dear Noah,
    This is a really good book. You did a great job describing the detail and racism in this book. You also did a good job on describing Scout's innocence and social status in Maycomb. I also dislike Bob Ewell. He is mean, racist, and stupid for wasting all his money on alcohol. However, I disagree with you when you said that people will see Bob Ewell's true character. As Justin said, the racism was so bad that people will forget about it. I think that Justin and Chris did very well on these comments. Great post Noah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Noah,
    As you know we are all reading this book. I really liked how you wrote the summary of the book. It really showed you understood the book. I also liked how you showed that the racism in the book was wrong and disturbing. I do have a few suggestions on how to make your blog better too. you could add why you think your predictioon was correct also. But, overall great blog Noah.

    ReplyDelete