Welcome to our Class Blog!

This is our place to post about the IR books we are reading. It's a great place to find book recommendations or just see what your friends are reading! Be sure to follow directions on your IR Blogging Sheet. Enjoy! :) Ms. D

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chris Shanahan

Christopher Shanahan
Of Mice And Men
John Steinbeck
Realistic Fiction
Challenge
Just Finished 107


1.     There have been many events leading up to what happened in the end of this book.  In the end of the book George shot Lennie.  He shot him because Lennie would have gone through so much more torture in jail.  No one understood Lennie like George did.  So Lennie would have got convicted for murder.  He could have served the death penalty or been in jail for life.  George found Lennie and started talking to him.  He was putting Lennie in his special place.  Lennie always wanted to own his own farm and have rabbits.  George secretly took Slims gun and put it behind Lennie's head.  Lennie looked back and George said keep looking over the hills.  He then tried to steady the gun and couldn't.  Then he was sure he was going to shoot Lennie so he put it up to his head and shot him.

2.      This book was very good I loved the ending.  The ending was amazing and it had all the details it needed.  It had enough detail that we could think about the parts and analyze it.  The book did not just give us the answers it made us think.  I think that is very important in making a great book.  I would rate this book a 10 because it had so much good foreshadowing.  It had foreshadowing in every chapter.  The plot was also really good and was very well made.  There are many themes in this book but there is one that stands out.  The one that stands out the most is trust.

3.     I think the theme of this book is trust.  I think it is trust because Lennie has to kind of lean on George for help.  Lennie has to trust George because he knows he wont leave him.  George trusts that Lennie wont lose their job but it happens every time.  Lennie just regains his trust.  Also everyone has to trust each other in the bunks.  Everyone trusts each other and if they didn't then it would be chaos.

4.     My favorite character is Lennie because he is funny and has a good personality.  Even though he has mental disability he still has a brain.  Sometimes people forget he can think for himself.  He makes a lot of mistakes but he does not mean to.  He does not realize that what he does right now could affect him later in life.  Lennie realizes what he did after the event happens.  But he is still a good guy.  His mental disorder also makes it so he does not realize how strong he is.

5.     My least favorite character is Curly.  He is my least favorite character because he is a stuck up jerk and is a horrible person.  He try's to pick fights with the big guys.  He try ed to fight with Lennie but Lennie crushed his hand.  He also does not let his wife talk to anyone but him.  Curly acts like he owns his wife.  His wife gets lonely a lot and Curly still does not let her talk to anyone.  Curly is just not a nice guy and is very mean to people bigger than him.

6.     My prediction was way off.  I thought Lennie was finally gonna get it and not mess up.  I thought Lennie was gonna be good.  But really he had the biggest mess up hes ever had.  He killed a Curly's wife.  Lennie did not mean to but he still killed her.  I thought Lennie was going to change and realize that if he did something now it could come back and haunt him later in life.








3 comments:

  1. 1. I felt that this book was very good adn i agre with you that the ending was very iinteresting. There was a lot of detail and a lot of forshadowing also. I like when Lennie would ask George to explain what it is going to be like when they get there house with there litte pice of land. I also like the fact that they hae so much faith and trust in each other. I dont think I would have lasted as long as George did with Lennnie. Overall I really like the whole book becasue once your finish you immediitly start making connections from the begining of the book to the end.

    2. I think that your blog is very well put together. I really liked reading your persuasive arguments about characters and theme. My favorite pharagreph was your theme paragraph because you gave lots of examples of wear trust apears thoughout the story. I also liked your sixth paragraph. I made the same perdiction about Lennie finally learning. I can see that you put a lot of time adn effort into this weeks blog!

    3. I agree that the ending of the book was very interesting. I agree with your comment about the ending really makeing us think. The ending was unexpected because I thought that Lennie and George had a special bond that could not be broken, and obviosly hat was not the case. I also agree wear your say that Lennie is a good guy. He doesnt do anything intentinal he just doesnt know what he is capable of. I think that it is inportant to understand that because all he really is looking for is to stay out of trouble so that he can tend to the rebbits.

    4. Something that I dont agree with you on is that George completly trusts Lennie to not make them loose there job. I think that George is very sceptical of them loosing there jod to Lennies behavior. I have been lead to belive that because George makes such a big deal about Lennie being on his best behavior and not talking so that they wont get the job. Also the fact that George makes such a big deal about Lennie going back to the trail to hide in the bush if something goes wrong makes me think that something is going to go wrong.
    From, Megan
    You did a great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I felt the same way about the book and the ending. I disliked how the writing in the book was in slang because it made me confused on what the characters were tying to say. I liked how John Steinbeck used foreshadowing that lead up to the death of Curley's wife and Lennie. I liked how their were multiple themes in Mice and Men. I liked how the author put a lot of detail in the plot.

    2. I think that your blog post was well but you could have explained which characters trusted each other. I liked your prediction paragraph because I had the same prediction as you and we were both wrong about the ending. I liked your persuasive writing. I gave the same rating as you. I also felt that one of the themes of this book was trust.

    3. I agreed about everything you said in paragraph 1 especially when you said that events lead up to the ending. I thought the same way that Lennie didn't mean to kill Curley's wife. I agreed when you said that Lennie was a good guy. I had the same person for my favorite character. I agreed when you said that the book didn't give us the answers but made the readers think.

    4. I disagreed when you said the ending of the book was amazing because it broke the American dream between Lennie, George, and Candy. I disagree when you said George trusted that Lennie won't lose their job because George told Lennie to hide in the brush if something bad happened. I had a different thought as my least favorite character. It was Curley's wife because of her death she destroyed the American dream.

    5. Megan, I completely agree when you said that George was skeptical. I agree on the things that you disagreed on Chris's blog. I felt the same way as you about the book. I also liked foreshadowing in the book. I liked Chris's persuasive writing as well. I disagreed when you said that the end of the book was very interesting because it didn't end in the happy way. I also agree about what you wrote about how Lennie doesn't hurt others intentionally.

    From, Abdell

    You both did a great job on the commenting and blog post.

    ReplyDelete